What G+ is really about (pst!!! it’s not social)

14 Jul

Google+ CirclesI’ll admit, I’ve been a bit down on Google+.  I rushed to join and then struggled to find anything that interested me.  (Thus the “Google+ is… crickets?” post the other day.)  Well, I finally found something there that piqued my interest.  Or, more, someone there that piqued my interest.  Vincent Wong is a techie, an economist, and the first person that I’ve found to have a real perspective on G+ that’s not “OMG guys it’s the new Facebook!”

Google AppsHe posted a short, but insightful, presentation to his Google+ account discussing his perspective on G+ and where it’s going.  In his presentation, Mr. Wong argues that Google+ isn’t trying to become the new Facebook, and that Facebook isn’t its main competitor.  He believes that G+ Is Google’s way to get us off Windows/Office and push us to the cloud, and that Microsoft better watch its back.  And, now that I’ve thought about it, I think I agree.

Without further ado from me, I give you Mr. Wong’s presentation, What G+ is really about (pst!!! it’s not social).  Follow the link (you don’t have to be on G+ to view it) and click on the first picture to start the presentation.  (And then come back here to tell me what you thought, of course.)

Blue Ocean StrategyMr. Wong is the first person that I’ve signed up to follow and G+ that I don’t actually know.  Although it makes me feel like a bit of a creep, I’m looking forward to learning more from him.  And, he may have actually convinced me to buckle down and read Blue Ocean Strategy, something that I’ve been considering for a while now.

Question of the day:  What do you think G+ is really about?

Oh, and if you’ve been wanting to join Google+, but haven’t yet gotten an invite, leave a comment or send me an e-mail and I’ll hook you up.

MaggieCakes is a blog about social media, marketing, culture, and what’s new on the internet written by me, Maggie O’Toole.  Every day (okay, I try for every day) I comb blogs and news outlets for the news about internet culture and social media to bring them to you (with my commentary, of course) here on MaggieCakes. Find anything interesting in the worlds of culture or social media that you’d like to see a post on? Leave a comment or send me an e-mail at 2maggieotoole@gmail.com.

9 Responses to “What G+ is really about (pst!!! it’s not social)”

1. hswinson July 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

umm…is anyone else getting a Big Brother vibe from Google?

2. oddsandems July 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

I don’t see the cloud as such a bad thing. Right now I’m spending over $50 a year to keep a copy of my “My Documents,” “My Pictures,” and “My Music” folders on Mozy, in case something should happen to my hard drive. I think it would be nice if there was a free service (it’ll probably be Google, or some combination of Google and Apple) that let me boot up my computer, open my web browser, and access all of my files. I wouldn’t need a hard drive or an expensive service to do that for me. I would even be willing to pay a little bit for the cloud to keep everything for me, as long as it was secure and reliable.

And if Google+ is going to help usher that in, I don’t see a reason to get upset right now.

3. Kytheria July 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Hey there! I was wondering if you could send me an invite in G+, i’d like to know what it’s about. Apparently when i try to sign in from my account, they say it is not available. Thank you! And by the way, i just found out about your blog, and i already love it 🙂

• Maggie O'Toole July 19, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Invite just sent! Let me know if it doesn’t work, though, because they seem to be a bit finicky. Glad you like the blog!

4. Cow Tales By a CowGirl Cook July 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

I love your post! Actually, the world has become what it is because of competition. If someone has the market cornered, what would make him/her strive to make it better? So watch out Microsoft! Google is right behind you! BTW, I love your blog.

5. doofus July 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

The “cloud” is a crock – I don’t wish to have someone (with an agenda) choosing the apps I will be using. Would they have chosen wordpress.com over blogspot? I think not.

Well I did.

6. doofus July 20, 2011 at 7:19 am #

I have spent a little time on Gx (thanks Maggie) and so far I’m underwhelmed.

If it catches on it will only be because Google is sooo BIG!

7. paxgirl July 30, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Hello! If G+ is still invite only, I’d like one, if only just to satisfy my curiosity. I’m so glad I stumbled upon your site! Can’t wait to settle in and read all your posts. Hitting the ‘follow’ button now~

• Maggie O'Toole July 31, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Thanks, paxgirl! I just sent you the invite. Please let me know if you didn’t get it. G+ seems to be a bit hit or miss on delivering invites.