40,000 Words and Counting

27 Aug

Or, I like it, I really like it

Birthday cakes shaped like presents, fontant

This is my 100th blog post.  TV shows get a party when they reach their 100th episode, because it means that they’re ready for syndication.  What does is mean for a blog?  Do I get a cake with my face on it?  (Can we have a reverse blog giveaway contest where you all send me cakes?)

Joking aside, I’m strangely proud of myself.  I’m not usually big on the concept of “follow-through”.  (Last time I moved, I found like four journals with the first page written in them: “Dear Diary, This time I’m really going to do it…”  Never happened.)

Facebook Like Small 1But here, strangely, it’s actually happening.  Maybe it’s because I’m getting feedback from commenters.  (Thank you!)  Maybe it’s because I’ve (delusionally) convinced myself that you’re all just sitting there waiting to be notified of a new post.  (“Mom it’s getting late and Maggie hasn’t updated.  Do you think something’s wrong?  Should I call her?”I feel like I’ve moved from being a girl who’s writing a blog to actually being a blogger.  (It’s on my LinkedIn profile and everything!)

Liz Lemon eating a poptartTalking to my Dad about my blog the other day (he loves talking about me being “successful”, even in weird little ways), I realize that it’s been so good for me.  Here’s the thing: I’m annoying.  (Might as well just come out and say it.)  My head’s always going in a million directions with crazy thoughts that I need to work out.  (Have you seen the episode of 30 Rock where Liz Lemon’s listing her ideas, including “everyone be twins”? – it’s like that.)  Generally, this leads to me talking (a lot) about the things that (only) I care about.  (I should probably just issue a blanket apology for 1996 and my discussions of The Spice Girls.)

Shut Up by oriolsalvador

Photo credit to oriolsalvador

Writing the blog lets me talk out my thoughts, but doesn’t force anyone to listen to me talk about them.  I sit here by myself talking it all though (out loud) while I write, reading sentences again and again with different emphasis.  (God help him if I ever get married.)  Usually by the end of this whole process, I’ve produced a (somewhat) coherent piece of writing.  Sure there are a few grammar errors and the narrative can be a bit jumpy.  But, usually, there’s a thesis, and sometimes even an argument or call to action.  (You may think that I’m longwinded and crazy here, but I challenge you to sit through a discussion with 15-year-old Maggie about how Buffy the Vampire Slayer is changing the paradigm for TV depictions of teenage girls.  You best bring a strong drink.)

So, here it is, post 100.  Lacking a thesis or narrative.  Without an argument or call to action.  Riddled with grammar errors.  But that’s okay.  Just be glad you didn’t have to talk it out with me.

Questions of the day: Do you blog or write?  Do you find that it’s good for you?  How?

MaggieCakes is a blog about social media, marketing, culture, and what’s new on the internet written by me, Maggie O’Toole.  Every day (okay, I try for every day) I comb blogs and news outlets for the news about internet culture and social media to bring them to you (with my commentary, of course) here on MaggieCakes. Find anything interesting in the worlds of culture or social media that you’d like to see a post on? Leave a comment or send me an e-mail at 2maggieotoole@gmail.com.

8 Responses to “40,000 Words and Counting”

1. georgettesullins August 27, 2011 at 11:02 am #

Happy 100th to you, Happy 100th to you ♪♫ (I hope you can find the “emphasis.”)
    Absolutely it’s good for me. I sit and compose family stories that I plan to self-publish into a family book – not a best seller or anything – for husband, mother, brothers, sister, daughters, nieces and nephews. I’m not at a 100 yet but I’m about to approach 1 year over Labor Day. Who would have thought back then…I’d be this far along?
    I haven’t been fp’d yet (much less 2x like you) but I have received “A Versatile Blogger Award”, had my flash fiction featured at another site and just yesterday posted a guest post on a blogging friend’s site.
    PS I enjoy reading your posts as often as you post…which is pretty often. I’m in awe.

• Maggie O'Toole August 30, 2011 at 6:53 am #

Thanks for all your support, Georgette. I feel like you’ve been one of my biggest cheerleaders in this. My sister asked me, “So, do you know those people that comment on your blog?” She was pretty shocked when I said, “No, they’re just really supportive people that I’ve met online.”

My dad self-published (well, I don’t know if you can even call it that, more like self-printed) a book that he wrote for Chirstmas a few years ago. I kind of laughed at the time, but now I love it. We read it out loud every year and almost all end up crying. I hope your family likes your just as much… but maybe without the crying.

2. tenraikenshin August 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Congratulations Maggie! I think it’s awesome that you’ve made it to 100 posts! I think I definitely write for some of the same reasons as you!
    “Writing the blog lets me talk out my thoughts, but doesn’t force anyone to listen to me talk about them.” I totally agree! Those are my words exactly, in fact! I need to be able to capture these moments and ideas as they happen so I don’t lose them, so I write. It’s easier than talking because no one has to listen, and I don’t have to feel like I’m burdening anybody with my often esoteric thoughts. I can have a conversation with myself on paper and it makes everything make sense! It feels great to see someone else say the same thing that I feel!

• Maggie O'Toole August 30, 2011 at 6:54 am #

Thanks for your comment. I’m glad to hear that someone else uses his blog the way that I use mine. Sometimes I just need to get the words out somehow. I think this prevents me from accosting random strangers on the street with my opinions.

3. meeshell August 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Congratulations! And you’re not annoying – quite the opposite actually 🙂

• Maggie O'Toole August 30, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Haha. Thanks. Maybe you should tell that to my siblings.

4. Emily from wild & grace August 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

Thanks for your questions. Here’s some answers. Oui, I blog and write – from downunder in Aotearoa, New Zealand, from wild & grace. Why? Probably for the same reasons you do, to get out what runs around chasing its shadows inside. I also think sharing ideas and thinkings is valuable, it encourages other people to share, and discussing ideas moves ideas too (i feel). Life is movement. How does it make me feel? Haha I just typed sacred, so perhaps yes I feel sacred but I also feel scared. Frightened that my ideas aren’t formulated enough to be published, frightened I may be uninteresting or even worse unoriginal, and a little concerned I may offend at times and therefore alienate. My feeling is we all find it rather challenging now to be strong with our views, perhaps it’s a result of mass media and our identity being exposed and criticised beyond necessity. Hmm, perhaps it has always been risky for people to express and to own their creativity? Thank you all artists (bloggers aka writers, visual artists, musicians, movers…) for being brave.

• Maggie O'Toole August 30, 2011 at 6:58 am #

Scared? Well, I guess that was a freudian slip… Sometimes I don’t really know how I feel about something until I start writing about it. Then I uncover all kinds of thoughts/feelings on the subject.

“My feeling is we all find it rather challenging now to be strong with our views, perhaps it’s a result of mass media and our identity being exposed and criticised beyond necessity.” That’s a really interesting idea. There was an article in the NYT about a week ago about how media influences our decision making; now we’re confronted with so many decisions that we get burned out on our ability to make them well. Taking a view, staking a position, it’s all part of decision making. You’ve given me something to ponder.